Setting up routers is not an easy task. There are a lot of technicalities that you need to be accustomed to. Along with that, it is a lengthy process with quite a lot of steps involved.
Most people prefer bringing home a technician to ease up the process. But this costs money. Also, leaving your PC or laptop in the hands of a stranger might not be a smooth choice for many others.
D Link Router: Setup Guide & Process
But, fear not. We have broken down the whole process into simple steps that are easy for you to understand and follow. Once you get the hang of it, you can say goodbye to all your worries about setting up a D Link router.
Setting up the Hardware:
- Plug-in the router
- Connect the cable from the cable modem to the port that says, Internet.
- The LED power button in the router will first turn orange and then turn green.
- You will find another LED that shows you if your internet link is active. If your connection is live, it will blink green, or if there is a problem it will blink orange.
- Another LED that looks like a tilted WiFi signal, will blink green if the router is emitting any wireless signal.
Setting up the Software:
- Connect your PC or laptop to one of the highest speed Ethernet ports on the back of your router.
- You can also connect to the wireless network created by the router, by entering the default name.
- Once everything is connected, turn off your DSL modem. Turn it back on after waiting for a few moments.
Steps For Setup D Link Router:
- Open any browser on your PC or laptop.
- In the address bar, type https://192.168.0.1 and press Enter.
- The D Link Login page will open up.
- To configure your router, you will have to provide the administrator password. For the first time you log in, the password will be blank. Click on the Login
- You can set up your internet connection in two ways – using the Handy Internet Connection Setup Wizard, or Internet Settings Manual. Select the first option.
- A page saying Welcome to the D Link Internet Connection Setup Wizard will open. Click on the Next
- Firstly, enter a new administer password, which you will have to use in the future to configure the internet settings. Click on Next.
- Select your timezone and click on Next.
- Several large Internet Service Providers are listed in the drop-down menu. Select yours. If your ISP is not listed, you will have to work in a roundabout way.
Configuring your Wireless Network: Steps
- Open your browser on your PC or laptop.
- In the address bar once again type https://192.168.0.1
- Login using the administrative password that you had previously set.
- On the left panel, select Wireless Settings.
- Select the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.
- On the next page enter your network name and select Manually Assign a Network Key. Click on Next.
- Enter a new Wireless Security Password. It should be different from all the other passwords that you have set until now. Click on Next.
- On the next page review your settings and click on the Save
- Wait a few moments for your router to reboot. Once it is done, you will be able to use your high-speed internet connection.
Configuring the Cable Modem Connection: If you are using a cable modem, it is most likely that you have a DHCP connection. Select that option and click on the Next button. Do not change any of the settings that are displayed on the screen. Just click on Next.
Configuring a DSL Connection: You will probably be using a PPPOE connection. Select that and click on Next. Enter the username and password that you have received from your ISP.
- Click on Next.
- On the next screen click on Connect and wait for your router to reboot. Your internet connection will be ready.
Connecting your device to the internet connection:
- Select the name of your internet connection.
- Enter the password.
- Click on Connect. You will be connected to the wireless internet connection.
If you can follow the steps that we have explained for you, setting up a D Link router will become a cakewalk for you!