Router firmware updates are as significant as updating any device’s firmware. New and authentic versions of firmware often bring forth superior features and security fixes. Therefore, it is mandatory to update your router’s firmware to keep it agile.
Your mind may raise countless questions such as how can I update the router’s firmware and if the updating procedure is easy or not! Okay then let me tell you, you can easily update computer software by using a simple updater tool. But router firmware upgrades might be intimidating to you!
Steps to follow while Updating a Router’s firmware:
Access and Update a Router –
Complete access to your router is necessary before updating the router’s firmware. For upgradation, make sure to enter a definite address in your preferred browser. Nevertheless, check out the router’s address along with login credentials available in the manual. However, you can also rummage this address manually by following these quick steps:
- Press Window key along with X (Keyboard shortcut) to open the Win + x menu. From that menu, make sure to select ‘Network connections’ over there.
- Here a page consisting of Network and Internet will arrive. Under the network status, click on ‘change connection properties’.
- Now you have to scroll down the page and see a section named ‘properties’.
- There will be IPV4 DNS Server and make sure to memorize that IP address.
Once you obtain the IP address, you can effectively use it to both login and update the router’s firmware. Now follow these steps to update the router’s firmware:
- The router should be connected to the ethernet to set up a robust connection. If it fails to establish a stable connection with the router, it may cause significant damage during the upgradation process.
- Open your preferred browser.
- Now enter that IP address of your router.
- Here in this page of username and password, enter those credentials from the router’s manual.
- After you log in, rummage the firmware upgrade option. This may be often found in the Maintenance, Administration, or utility section. Please make sure that every router has a different location of firmware updates.
- After you locate this, you will see the recent firmware version and its release date.
- Visit the router manufacturer’s site and find the support section. See your router model if it shows any upgradation. If any update notification is there, make sure to download it.
- Once you complete the router’s update, extract it to any folder on your PC.
- Now the router’s update section consists of Choose file or Browse option. Now select the router update file by double-clicking.
- Thereafter, start the upgrade process after opting for the update file.
- Now, you have to wait until the entire procedure is over. Do not interrupt the upgradation procedure or it may cause serious damage to your router.
- The firmware upgradation process is automatic and once it completes, your router will start with the newly firmware installed.
If you are continuously overlooking the router’s firmware update, you will be more prone to vulnerability. Therefore, make sure to update on time and fix the bugs. We hope this article provides detailed knowledge about router firmware upgradation.